Kerry-ann Mendoza gives a brilliant interview here – some key points are:
1. The attacks on Gaza are effectively an ongoing genocide not a war.
2. The ineffective Hamas rocket attacks are the only way the Palestinians in Gaza had to engage the Israelis and the attention of the world and get some concessions
3. There is no moral equivalence between the two sides, Israel is an occupying and oppressing power. As far a right to defend themselves exists it is the Palestinians who have that need and that right.
4. The ‘two state’ solution is not going to happen and everybody knows it. There is no Palestine there is only Israel in which Palestinian people are disenfranchised and discriminated against.
5. It is laughable to call Israel ‘the only democracy in the Middle East’ it cannot be a Jewish state and a democratic state.
6. The only just solution lies in a secular state with equal rights for all its inhabitants.
What Kerry-ann says is rational and obviously true but we don’t often hear the truth articulated so plainly. Cenk Uygur is a largely sympathetic interviewer but he still tries to frame the conflict as one in which both sides are to blame, to some extent, for the intractability of the situation.