These are just some notes from a poster, Giovanni, on the GOTD site. Reviewing a backup tool offered on the site he recommends an alternative called XCloner. I thought it was worth copying his recommendations and looking at this later:
Today’s giveaway, despite having a pretty low GAOTD USER RATING at the moment, looks like a decent tool which does its job pretty flawlessly, since it sports everything you need to back up your website. In fact it uses FTP and MySQL scripts and supports Dropbox, SugarSync and other similar service which altogether make restoring your site a breeze.
My only concern is that, as every other GAOTD, it cannot be updated to future enhanced versions.
For this reason I recommend you using a better and more comprehensive FREE ALTERNATIVE called “XCLONER”.
This is a superb FREE WEBSITE BACKUP & RESTORATION UTILITY (SOFTPEDIA PICK) designed for PHP/MySQL websites.
It comes as a stand-alone app, as a Joomla component and as a WordPress plugin.
All your generated BACKUPS can be moved, copied and restored without any hassle.
· Backup and restore any PHP/MySQL website
· Create custom backups (full or partial backups)
· Generate automatic backups based on cronjobs
· Restore your backups anywhere
· Share custom backups with clients
· Store you backups on the Amazon S3 cloud
· Backend available languages: Spanish, Dutch, German, English
· Incremental MySQL backup supporting large databases
· Incremental file system scanning and backup supporting large websites
· Backup Split option for environments with limited filesize
· JQuery Start UI
· Incremental files restore supporting large backups
· Create full or partial backups based on your input
· Create simple or compressed backups based on your configuration input
· Possibility to exclude directory and files from the backup, manually or through cron settings(AJAX powered)
· Create backups based on a cron task, created backups can be stored on the local server, remotely through ftp or emailed
· Delete backups older than a certain number of days
· Ability to manage existing backups, rename/delete/move, publish to user frontend for sharing
· Possibility to clone any backup to another location, it can be done automatically by using the server functions or manually
· Configuration area lets you choose on how to generate backups based on your server possibilities
· Can choose to create backups by using only PHP, or by also using some server utilities to speed things up
· Store the generated backup locally, through email or a remote ftp location
· Send the generated backup to the Amazon S3 cloud service
· The generated clone of XCloner can be restored on a totally different server, with new server and mysql details
· Full Restore of a clone made by XCloner through simple and compressed archives
· Ability to restore the original files and directories permissions, as well as multiple clones to different locations, by using either a ftp simulated sessions, or direct restore through php
· Possibility to exclude database from importing
· PHP 4.3.x or above
· Joomla 1.5.x native component
· Joomla 1.6.x native component
· Joomla 2.5.x native component
· WordPress 2.x and 3.x compatibility
· Any hosting environment running PHP, 5.2.0 recommended
Download this FREE amazing GEM here:
They ask you to pay for their support only…..but hey…it’s not necessary….LOL!
Another great FREE tool for backing up any DATABASE and an ENTIRE WEBSITE with just a mouse click (very handy especially for web app developers) is also “AMPPS”. As you can see from the link below, it can even create websites from scratch, by installing the latest version of Joomla!, WordPress, Magento & Dolphin, with its “Softaculous auto-installer”!!
Just give it a whirl to see what it can do for you (YES, you heard me right dudes: it’s incredibly FREE):
To backup their own websites, WordPress users can also use the following (hassle) FREE WP plugins, kissing data loss goodbye: